Burlington Gazette – History by Helen Langford
More of the Chisholms
Tues., January 31, 1978
During the War of 1812, George Chisholm Sr., was captain in the 2nd Regiment of York. His sons, John, William and George also held commissions. Daughter Barbara lost her husband during the war.
Following the War of 1812, life settled into an easier pattern for the Chisholms. Mary Christina was settled with her husband Ephraim Land in Barton Township. Barbara, a widow, was at home with her two boys. John had a successful career as Customs officer at the Burlington Bay outlet. William had married Rebecca Silverthorne and moved to Nelson Village area as a general merchant and buyer of wheat, oak staves and timber. George remained farming the homestead in East Flamborough.
By the time of the 1837 Rebellion, all four Chisholms – father and sons – held commissions as colonels in the militia. George Sr., was 85 years of age but still active enough to watch the proceedings around his home as the centre for the Tory militia in this area. Little did he know that W. L. Mackenzie had supper at his neighbour’s farm (the Charles King home) on his escape to Navy Island!
George Sr. died in 1842 and was buried on a point of land jutting into Burlington Bay, later called Filman’s Point. Many years later (1950) the graves were moved to Greenwood Cemetery and still later to the Chisholm plot in Oakville.
The brick Chisholm home built by 1832 to replace the early log home, still stands on Plains Road near the stoplight at King’s Road. It was called Inverness after the Chisholm home in Scotland. (The second King home, built about 1825 still stands at 736 Kings Road). The King and Chisholm homes, probably the earliest surviving homes. In Burlington, are all that remains here of these very early pioneers, George Chisholm and Charles King.
In 1820, William, second son of George Chisholm, was elected member for East Halton in the House of Assembly of Upper Canada. He was one of the commissioners for the first Burlington Bay Canal opened in 1826.
Source: Langford, Helen. Burlington Gazette [Ontario], 31 Jan 1978. Microfilm. Burlington Public Library – Central Branch. Reel 50.